San Bernardino Water Heater Carbon Monoxide Prevention

Posted by on Jun 6, 2014 in Water Heater Repair San Bernardino, Water Heater Safety

We have just recently seen a number of news reports about carbon monoxide poising being connected back to a water heater as the source and so felt it vital to inform some about that possibility today. Yes, any nonrenewable fuel source burning appliance generates this fatal gas. Including hot water heaters. However, with the appropriate setup of the water heater, along with routine maintenance, and a working carbon monoxide gas detector in the home, one can sleep safely.

Causes of Carbon Monoxide PoisoningWater Heater Repair San Bernardino

Carbon monoxide gas (CO) is a colorless, odor free gas that is a bi-product of the burning of a fossil fuel like wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, or kerosene. Breathing in carbon monoxide fumes not only prevents oxygen from being used correctly by the body, however also causes harm to the central nervous system. Individuals with existing health problems such as heart and lung condition are specifically vulnerable, as are babies, children, pregnant women, and seniors.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide Gas

The winter heating season is when a bulk of carbon monoxide direct exposures occur due to using unvented supplemental heaters. An unvented supplemental heater is a sort of space heater that uses indoor air for heating and vents the gases produced in the heating process out into the home. A lot of heaters of this type use kerosene or natural gas for fuel. While more recent designs have oxygen sensors that shut off the heater when the oxygen level in the area falls below a specific level, older designs do not have such safety functions. Because of these safety troubles, unvented space heaters have been banned in numerous states. Other sources of carbon monoxide gas are malfunctioning cooking devices, tobacco smoke, clogged chimneys, auto exhaust, malfunctioning furnaces and gas clothing dryers, wood burning fireplaces, and a hot water heater.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Gas Poisoning

Below are the most common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning but they are not always the very same for each individual who has been exposed and often times resemble having food poisoning or the flu. A doctor can assist in determining for sure.

headache
dizziness
weakness
queasiness and throwing up
rapid heartbeat
seizures
cardiac arrest
loss of hearing
blurred vision
disorientation
loss of consciousness or coma
respiratory failure

Protection By Appropriate Gas Appliance Ventilation

The CDC offers the following information on avoiding CO2 poisoning by making sure ones appliances are vented correctly.

  • All gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level. Indoor vent pipes should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly.  (read more…)

It is certainly crucial to have CO2 detectors in the home. The Colorado State University Extension offers the following ideas when selecting a CO2 alarm.

  • Some inexpensive alarms consist of a card with a spot (spot detectors) that changes color in the presence of CO. The absence of an audible signal does not meet UL or IAS requirements for alarms, so these devices do not provide adequate warning of CO.
  • Some CO alarms have a sensor that must be replaced every year or so. The expense of this part should be a factor in purchase decisions.
  • Battery-operated alarms are portable and will function during a power failure, which is when emergency heating might be used. Batteries must be replaced, although some alarms have long-life batteries that will last up to five years.
  • Line-powered alarms (110 volt) require electrical outlets but do not need batteries. They will not function during a power failure. Some line-powered alarms have battery backups.
  • Some alarms have digital readouts indicating CO levels. Alarms with memories can help document and correct CO problems.  (read more…)

The following video gives some good safety pointers for water heaters.

Not to scare anyone, however we likewise wished to include the following video of a water heater install that is not working properly and is hazardous.

Please see a physician right away if you suspect that you or a member of your family could have carbon monoxide gas poisoning. Water Heater Repair San Bernardino can not stress enough the requirement of seeing to it an expert plumbing repair business services and installs any water heater equipment in your home or business.